Don’t follow in the footsteps of the old poet, seek what they sought.
My pencils outlast their erasers.
A poet once suggested that poems need 3 elements, properly balanced: the physical, the intellectual, and the emotional. I think that’s an extremely useful guide, and might add a fourth: the spiritual, or presence of duende.
Download a pdf on how to edit a poem.
Thoughts on Critique:
Download "What to Look for in a Poem"
Download some questions I might ask of a poem.
Download "On Workshopping a Poem."
Download the Rhetorical Devices updated workshop rules.
Books & Links
- 100 Thousand Poets for Change
- Kim Addonizio and Dorianne Laux The Poet's Companion
- American Poetry Review (magazine)
- Artist Trust (writing & art)
- Margaret Atwood, Negotiating with the Dead
- Robin Behn and Chase Twichell, The Practice of Poetry
- DAVID BIESPIEL’S POETRY WIRE: 10 THINGS SUCCESSFUL POETS DO
- Adam Levron Brown, calls for submissions
- Chandelier Galaxy, prompts, word lists, writing exercises and triggersfrom Toni and Michael Hanner.
- CLMP Readers Directory of Independent Literary Presses
- J. C. Cooper, An Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Traditional Symbols
- a dictionary or two from several time periods including current
- an on-line dictionary/thesarus www.dictionary.com
- Stephen Dobyns, Best Words, Best Order: Essays on Poetry
- duotrope (submissions: leads and tracking)
- Reginald Gibbons (ed), The Poet's Work: 29 Poets on the Origins and Practice of Their Art
- Natalie Goldberg, Writing Down the Bones
- Erica Goss, poet, writer, instructor
- Diana Hacker, A Pocket Style Manual
- Jane Hirsfield, Nine Gates: Entering the Mind of Poetry, Essays
- Trish Hopkinson (calls for submissions)
- Denise Levertov, New & Selected Essays (her essay on the line is not to be missed)
- The Line Break: A Wine and Poetry Blog (all the book publishers in the world, open readings for book lenght manuscripts)
- "The The Impotence of Proofreading," by TAYLOR MALI a fabulous you-tube video
- Math Symbols/Technical Definitions whatis.techtarget.com
- Robert McKee, Story: Style, Structure, Substance, and the Principles of Screenwriting (also a screenwriting seminar)
- Stephen Minot, Three Genres: Writing Fiction/Literary Nonfiction, Poetry, and Drama
- NewPages (news, information, and guides to literary magazines, independent publishers, creative writing programs, alternative periodicals, indie bookstores, writing contests, and more.
- Poet’s and Writers (magazine)
- Poetry (magazine)
- writer's digest, Poet's Market 2017: The Most Trusted Guide for Publishing Poetry
- Ralan (resources for speculative fiction and humor)
- Roget’s, Super Thesarus
- Zack Rogow's Advice for Writers
- Harvey Stanbrough, Punctuation for Writers: A Thorough Primer for Writers of Fiction and Essays
- Harvey Stanbrough, Writing Realistic Dialogue & Flash Fiction
- Mark Strand and Eavan Boland, The Making of a Poem: A Norton Anthology of Poetic Form
- a visual dictionary www.visualdictionaryonline.com www.visualdictionaryonline.com/ (connects words to pictures)
- a visual thesaurus www.visualthesaurus.com (an interactive dictionary and thesaurus which creates word maps that blossom with meanings and branch to related words)
- generate or peruse THE best word lists and much much more www.vocabulary.com
- Miller Williams, Patterns of Poetry: An Encyclopedia of Forms
- www.winningwriters.com (best free writing contests)
Call for Submissions:
- Uttered Chaos, books and chapbooks
- AWP The Association of Writers & Writing Programs
- Council of Literary Magazines and Presses (CLMP) The Literary Press and Magazine Directory
- Hedgebrook: Women Authoring Change
- Lane Literary Guild
- National Federation of State Poetry Societies (NFSPS) - their website desperately needs an upgrade BUT it does have some valuable information
- National Writer’s Union
- Oregon Poetry Association (OPA)
- Oregon Writer's Colony
- Pacific Northwest Writers (PNWA)
- Science Fiction Poetry Association (SFPA)
- Science Fiction Writers of America (SFWA)
- Willamette Writers
Reading Series/Open Mics/Slams:
See the events section
Missing anything? Additional comments? Something you'd love to see on this page? Send me the details.